Turnitin is web based software, which promotes academic integrity, streamlines grading and feedback, deters plagiarism, and improves students’ outcomes.
Access & Registration
- Please, contact Mr Njabulo Zungu (firstname.lastname@example.org, 6081) for any queries related to Turnitin access/registration.
- Please, contact your Faculty information librarian or Research support librarians for the training on Turnitin.
How to reset your password
- To reset your password (within 48 hours) after registration, simply follow the instructions in the email sent by Turnitin.
How to add class and assignment
- Log on to Turnitin with the username and pin
- Create a class by clicking on green cross
- Select ‘Standard class’, password (something easy to remember) and expiry date and submit. You may add as many classes as you would need.
- Double click on the ‘Class’ and click ‘Add assignment’, click on ‘optional settings’ and select the appropriate options, click ‘submit’
- After creating the class and assignment click ‘students’ and add the students (e.g. individuals or group) e.g. Claribel, Ncele, email@example.com
How to add Quick submit
- Log on to Turnitin with the username (your email) and password emailed to you by Turnitin
- Update your profile on the ‘Welcome to Turnitin’ screen by clicking on “User Info”
- In “Account Settings” click “Activate “Quick submit” by selecting ‘Yes” (“Quick submit “ button will be added to your menu options)
Submitting documents via Quick submit
- log on to Turnitin
- click on ‘Quick submit’
- click on ‘Submit paper’
- make selection in ‘Customize your search’
- click ‘Submit’
- fill in the requested information (e.g. name, title of the document)
- click ‘Browse’ to find your file/document and click ‘Upload’ after finding the document
- click ‘Go to Inbox’
- click the paper’s Originality Report icon (under Similarity) in the report column. A ghosted
icon indicates that the Originality Report has not yet been generated (it takes 2-10 min.)
- click on the percentage to view the originality report.
Other useful links
- Instructor quick start guide:
- Student quick start guide:
- Top 15 Misconceptions About Turnitin:
- The misuses of Turnitin and other text matching software: http://postgradenvironments.com/2017/09/22/misuses-turnitin-text-matching-software